"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Sunday, June 1, 2014

Back Home

Arrived home last night in high spirits. The time with my aunt was loving and fun. She and I browsed through all her photos from past family reunions as well as some photos she had of her childhood. She invited me to take any pictures I wanted, so I brought home a few pictures to show my brother next time we are together as well as my kids.

It is lovely in Wisconsin. Eau Claire is about the size of the next town from where I live now and the people are friendly. I wish that Eau Claire could be about 4 hours from me, but 8 hours is doable for me. My friend, Vicki did most of the driving and she planned on seeing a friend in Wisconsin but that did not work out, but she enjoyed the time with my aunt and cousin. One day we drove about 2 1/2 hours from my aunt's house to Portage, WI where we met my uncle and aunt for lunch. They live near Milwaukee so their travel time was about the same as ours. Of the original 11 brothers and sisters, my aunt and her brother are two of the remaining 5 siblings so it was special to see them together.

For most of her adult life, my aunt planted and tended a super large garden, canning and freezing what she grew. This year she has asparagus. She cut the fresh asparagus and cooked some for us and put some olive oil on it, then sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on it. Oh my. So good. I told her that one of my dearest wishes was to be in her kitchen cooking alongside her and when I realized that was what we were doing I hugged her and thanked her.
Aunt has first manicure! 

14 comments:

stephen Hayes said...

Fresh aparagus? Yum!

Liz Mays said...

That was such a special weekend you had. I'm really glad you went and enjoyed the time so much!

Brian Miller said...

smiles...very cool you got to be int eh kitchen with her...i love asparagus...we roast ours with garlic...my mom made it grilled the other night...mmm...so good...

welcome home.

DJan said...

I had MY first manicure not long ago, too! I'm so glad you're home safe and sound, and that you had a great time, CiCi. I always feel like I'm sitting across a table from you sipping coffee when I visit your place. :-)

Rock Chef said...

That sounds like a great way to do asparagus! I will have to give it a try!

CiCi said...

I was there 6 days and enjoyed every minute. Having some family time this year is nurturing. Later this year I will drive to South Carolina for a visit with a good friend. And will meet my older daughter in Utah for a visit.

Adam said...

Your aunt's first manicure? After seeing the price, it might be the last one.

My sister-in-law used to go all the time, my jaw would always drop when she tell me what each trip would cost.

Pauline said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your latest trip to spend time with family. Your aunt has such a lovely face!

Shammickite said...

You are so lucky to have a lovely aunt to visit. Especially one who grows asparagus!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to spend time with your aunt and uncle.

I love roasted asparagus with shaved parmesan. We go to an Italian restaurant in the bay area and that's the only dish i order!

Stickup Artist said...

That's a great picture. You are really getting around this year, and to a lot of amazing places with such special people. It is such a pleasure to read your always "straight from the heart" posts.

Unknown said...

:) hello dear;
I posted something from the reply you sent me via email.
I admit I have black thumbs, most things I planted ended up dead. And I really envy those who have big gardens and know how to keep them.
I love asparagus too!

Glad you are having fun :)

Lawrence T. Udo-Ekpo said...

Scent of asparagus - ever so nice and fresh!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

How very special!