"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Monday, December 9, 2013

Perspective

When the sun comes up, is it really "coming up"?

When I look up to heaven, is heaven really "up there"?

Why do some people say they're going "downtown", while others say they're going "uptown"?

Why do some people tack on the word "up" to some sentences?
"Eat it all up".
"Clean it up".
"'Fess up".
"Shut up". Well, maybe this one is different.
"Stir it up". "Stir it" would be sufficient.


8 comments:

Rock Chef said...

"Stir it up" makes sense to me - you are dredging up the stuff that has sunk to the bottom and getting it moving.

DJan said...

The English language is interesting, isn't it? I'm willing to write UP my blog comment, CiCi. :-)

Brian Miller said...

maybe we are all trying to look up

stephen Hayes said...

There are so many little words that mean nothing and need to be edited out of our writing. I remember an editor telling me I don't need the word"inside" when I write hollow inside. If it isn't "inside" it isn't hollow. Take care.

Hilary said...

And is 7up really 8?

Adam said...

The sun is always with us. Reflected sunlight is what makes our "moon"light.

African Refugees said...

Interesting - keep up the good work!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Bundle up comes to mind as it keeps on getting colder.
Languages are fun to study and understand.