"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Friday, February 6, 2015

One Of My All Time Favorites

While passing time with flu symptoms recently, I stumbled upon a book that has been relegated to my Faves. I have a section in my bookcase of books that I will never give away because I re-read them about once a year. They are my Treasured Book Friends.

Spending time listening to oh so many samples of audiobooks on my Kindle Fire was easier than trying to read, as my eyes were hurting as well as a major headache along with aches and pains "everywhere, including even my fingernails" as I told my friends. I forbade all to come see me; I did not want to pass the flu bug along to anyone. So I was determined to entertain myself as best I could.

I bought a few audiobooks but they did not hold my interest. Until I listened to "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving. I had not been a fan of Irving's, did not care for "The World According To Garp", nor "Cider House Rules", even though many of my friends were recommending those books.
I did read them long ago but did not like them. For me, "A prayer For Owen Meany" held my attention with political and spiritual and many good surprises, not to mention the truly excellent style of writing. NOW I am a fan.

Now I am willing and even excited to read the rest of his works. I stopped at the library this week to pick up another book by John Irving: "Until I Find You".

I have ordered six copies of "A Prayer For Owen Meany" and had them sent to six of my family and three friends so far. And encouraged several others to do the audio thing on their Kindles like I did.
Let me know if you are familiar with this book and/or this author.

6 comments:

Ms. A said...

Not familiar with the books, but I have seen the two movies. I liked Cider House Rules.

Hope you are feeling better!

DJan said...

You know, I'm sure I read this book in the past, but I remember nothing about it except the title. I'll check it out again at the library and read it again, with a recommendation like that. :-)

stephen Hayes said...

It's been ages since I read one of his books. Maybe I should give him another look.

Brian Miller said...

i have read something of his for sure...pretty sure i read Garp...but i will check out that book with your recommendation....

CiCi said...

So far, each of the people I sent the book to are just as fond of many aspects of it as I am. Will be recommending it at book club this week as well.

terri said...

I can get so excited over certain books. I've heard of A Prayer for Owen Meany (and wasn't it a movie too?) but never read it. Considering how passionate you feel about it, I'm going to go check out a sample on my Nook and possibly download it. Thanks for the tip!