"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Sunday, April 14, 2013

Book Sale

Collecting books from the folks in town this past week has been fun. Thursday and Friday we sorted the books and had the place ready for the sale on Saturday. We put all children's books on a section of shelves that was bottom three shelves, perfect for little people to see and handle the books. Five large sections of shelves were designated Fiction, and one large section of shelves for young adult. For Non-Fiction we used five tables, and one table for audio books and CDs. I am a member of the Friends of the Library committee and we held the book sale to collect funds for the Friends. That is an appropriate name for the group. We are helpers to the librarians and have lots of interesting ways to be of assistance to them.

We held the book sale at the same time an author was at the library signing books. The illustrator of the book was on hand to sign books and visit with folks so the day was another way to celebrate our lovely library.

There was a great turnout. We had suggested prices but it was donation only, so lots of gracious friends donated extra money. One dear friend even wrote a check for $500. Another thing I love about this town is how much the residents love our library.

12 comments:

Brian Miller said...

woot. very cool. wish i was closer i would have come...i love books...probably too much...ha...and i am def all about supporting the library...

Unknown said...

I love books too. And i have a tall shelf of fantasy and fiction books to prove it.

I don't go to the library to read anymore, because i have ebooks now. I actually sleep in the school library to wait for the next class :)

Still, i have many fond memories in the library when i was little.

terri said...

The public library was one of my favorite places when I was a kid. I couldn't get my hands on enough books and my only problem was limiting the number of books to what I could manage to carry while also riding my bike back home.

I'm sad to say I don't go to the library anymore. I read a lot of books on my Nook and otherwise share books with friends.

Your book event sounds like it was a great success! Congratulations.

Adam said...

Our main library over here is pretty good

Rock Chef said...

Ordinary libraries seem to be dying over here - starved of good funds, often moved into unsuitable buildings. I used to love going to my local library but I now find it very sad and depressimg.

Good to see that yours is doing well, though. Books are a wonderful thing.

Kristina P. said...

That is awesome!! I love actual books. Stupid e-readers!

Stickup Artist said...

I was reading lately about the state of volunteerism and how our retired citizens are under-utilized by the poor state of management for such programs. But, you and your friends are NOT waiting for someone else to come up with ideas of how you can make a difference. You guys are identifying what needs doing, getting out there, and doing it. I really needed to read this, today especially...

Joanna Jenkins said...

Great job!!! Nothing like a well organized book sale (I LOVE them!) and generous members of the community donating time and money.

Hope you're enjoying Spring, CiCi and all is well with you.

xo jj

Maggie May said...

What a brilliant way to raise money and recycle books. You did a very good job! Hard work, though.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Brian Miller said...

hey you...hope you are well...been nice seeing you a few times this week...all going well?

Liz Mays said...

You sure have found yourself within a wonderful, supportive and giving community!

Toni @ A Daily Dose of Toni said...

I love a good book sale, I am a big reader and am hoping to instill that into my kids. What a great community you have!