"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Thursday, April 11, 2013

Salad Suppers

About once a month I can find a salad supper to attend within a fifty mile radius. Not just lettuce and tomato and dressing. I'm talking SALAD. Vegetable salad, Grilled chicken salad, Beef and veggie salad, and a ton of dessert salads.

The latest salad adventure was at the parish hall of the church across the street. Last year there were a couple hundred women packed into the hall and there were enough salads for us all to make return trips to the salad room.  There was entertainment and raffles and lots of visiting and laughter. This year the entertainment was different but the food was excellent. Mini sandwiches on homemade rolls (which I can't eat), thin pieces of ham rolled up, and tables of salads.

After each table had visited the salad tables, a five piece group took their places and we were entertained in fine style. All five sang in harmony, two played guitars while singing, and they took turns telling jokes between songs. Some of the songs they turned into humorous songs, like Ghostwriter in the Sky became a funny song about chickens headed to Kentucky Fried Chicken getting revenge.

The event lasted a little over two hours and we all arrived back at our homes before the storm came. Good timing, don't you think.

9 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Sounds like a great event - the entertainment sounds like fun too!

Funny, when I hear you talking about where you live I keep having visions of The Waltons - nothing specific, just that feeling of a friendly, nice place to be.

Brian Miller said...

ha. that sounds fun...reminds me of dueling piano bars...i enjoy entertainment at dinner...and a big salad sounds pretty good for today...smiles.

DJan said...

My sister fixed a salad every night for dinner, and it was HUGE. I enjoyed it immensely. You do have a really nice place in your community, CiCi. It's so nice to hear how happy you are. :-)

stephen Hayes said...

Glad you had a good time. In India salads are rinsed in tap water so we didn't have any, but I've been gobbling down salads since our return.

terri said...

Sounds like a lot of fun - especially the entertainment! I'm smiling at just your description of the songs!

Unknown said...

Here in Malaysia, when you mention salad, there will only be vegetables in it.

But I get you, because I watch a lot of cooking channels etc.

My favourite salad would contain A LOT of protein in it :)

Claudya Martinez said...

That sounds heavenly to me. I love salads, but sort of hearty meal in themselves kind of salads.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Salad Suppers-- what a great idea. I'd fit right in at a dinner like this. I'm a big salad loved and I like that it went well beyond just lettuce. YUM!
xo jj

Liz Mays said...

I've never heard of a salad supper before but I must say that I highly approve of the idea!