"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. "
~John Lennon


Monday, December 17, 2012

Share The Joy Of The Season

People who still have jobs probably have a more difficult time than those of us who have retired. I remember having to work around some people who were disagreeable to the max.  Their unwelcome comments seemed to drag down the vibes in the work place.  Some of us would attempt to get the message across through humor by saying that we all needed an attitude adjustment.  When a group of us would unite in our fun project of an attitude adjustment,  we were a strong enough force to change the atmosphere to a more uplifting environment.

Now that I am older, hopefully wiser, and not working, when I come in contact with a person who likes being in the unpleasant state of negativity, I know I have a choice. There are no mandatory meetings or overtime, there is also no paycheck I am depending upon.  I am finding that since I stopped working I am truly the captain of my ship, steering aware from danger and denial by maintaining an optimistic attitude.  At the very least I am able to decrease or reverse negativity and in many cases I am able to produce calm and affirmation in my life.

It isn't necessary to go head to head with a person who wallows in negativity. They must be getting something out of it to continue on their un-merry way.  Their choice.  For me, I make more progress on a project when I am relaxed and positive.  Right now, my main project is living each day at a time.  During the holidays we all have the opportunity to show what we are really made of and share some joy with others. You never know what an act of kindness will do to soften a heart and cause that person to pass along the joy to another person.  It is possible to stop negativity and promote hope and joy.

14 comments:

Rock Chef said...

A long time ago, Monty Python did a sketch where miserable people were "hanged by the neck until they cheered up"! What a thought! :-)

Lisa said...

Sometimes I "home alone", well most of the time, but I still have to do some "office time", but there is no negative vibes there, at least I don't feel them.

Ms. A said...

I'm a positive person where other people are concerned, but for myself, I'm very negative. With Christmas coming, look out for even more of my negativity... but I'm going to survive it, even if it kills me!

Brian Miller said...

i think it would be a great thing to drop the negativity and try to get some positive vibes out there this holiday...

DJan said...

I like your "be of good cheer" message, CiCi. I will take it to heart and join you! :-)

Jeanie said...

I'm with DJan, above. Your message is a good reminder about maintaining a positive attitude and spreading joy whenever we can.

Joanna Jenkins said...

The world would be a much better place if folks could just relax and enjoy life a little more. Easier said then done but, really, it would be so much more pleasant.

I've been in toxic work environments before. It always amazed me how one person could drag the whole place down. Sheesh.

Keep looking for happiness, CiCi. You're doing a great job.

xoxo jj

stephen Hayes said...

Well said. You never know who's life you might change with a smile.

Abby said...

Good thoughts for the day CiCi. Negativity is a choice.

Claudya Martinez said...

I like the captain of your ship, she's got a great attitude and sense of direction.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I totally agree it's a great time to dish out as much joy as possible. You are very right.

LL Cool Joe said...

Sometimes it's very hard to stay positive when it's family members (my mother) who brings me down. If it were a work colleague or someone else I'd just avoid them, but as it's my mother, and she won't be around forever, I can't. Although sometimes I'd really like to, as she's bad for my health.

terri said...

I work with a person who I suddenly realized is always bitter and negative. I find when she's telling stories, even about people I don't personally know, her sarcastic attitude really annoys me. You're right though. We all have the right to decide whether or not to accept such negativity or do something about it.

Mrs4444 said...

This is a really great post, and I agree.

There is someone I know on FB who rarely writes a positive post; I've been trying to find a way to encourage her to adjust her way of thinking, but I think it might just be the way she's wired.